Everybody loves a great soft boiled egg. But it can be a pain for some people. So you know I have to hook you up! My grandma was the one who taught me how to cook the perfect soft boiled egg. And because I always get questions from you, I am going to share all my tips and my method for cooking the perfect soft boiled egg.
I think soft boiled eggs are so sophisticated and proper. Whenever I think of having soft boiled eggs, I think of those older English movies with the families sitting around the table having breakfast. Them cracking into the eggs and figuring out who gonna marry their daughters and shit.
Now, for me, soft boiled eggs usually end up on an avocado toast, a flatbread or a salad. But of course you can just throw some everything but the bagel seasoning (or try Balanced Bites SUPER TRIFECTA seasoning) on top and dig in!
Tips for cooking the perfect soft boiled egg:
- First, for better results when making soft boiled eggs, try to use your older eggs. They will peel way easier than fresh eggs. I don’t know the science. I just know that’s what grandma said and it always works.
- Season the water you are boiling the eggs in with salt. Adding salt to the water you are cooking your eggs in will help prevent the eggs from cracking while cooking.
- Make sure to set a timer. Set your timer between 6 – 6 1/2 minutes. 6 minutes will give you a liquidy yolk and 6 1/2 minutes will give you a more soft jammy yolk.
- Don’t add the eggs to cold water and then bring to a boil. Always add the eggs to already boiling water and continue to cook from there. Adding the eggs to cold water first will only derail the cooking time. And ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Always use an ice bath to cool the eggs down and immediately stop the cooking process. This is key when you are cooking soft boiled eggs. This process will stop the eggs from cooking any further. So you are left with a beautiful runny yolk. DO NOT SKIP THI STEP!
Now that we’ve shared all the tips and tricks to the perfect soft boiled eggs, let’s jump into the full breakdown and recipe.
For more brunch and breakfast inspiration, click HERE.Print
A full step by step tutorial plus all my tips and tricks for cooking the perfect soft boiled egg.
pasture-raised eggs (how ever many you want)
Balanced Bites SUPER TRIFECTA seasoning (or everything but the bagel seasoning) to serve
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
A small saucepan
a slotted spoon
an ice bath (half ice, half water)
To begin, Bring a small saucepan of water seasoned with a few pinches of salt to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and use a slotted spoon to gently add the eggs to the water. With the water on a slow simmer, cover the pan and immediately set a timer for 6 – 6 1/2 minutes (6 minutes for a runny yolk, 6 1/2 minutes for more jammy yolk).
While the eggs cook, prepare the ice bath. Pour an equal amount of cold water and ice into a large mixing bowl and set it aside.
Once the timer goes off, immediately transfer the eggs to an ice bath and let it sit for about a 3 minutes or cool to touch.
Peel the eggs. I like to start at the more narrow end of the egg and peel from there. It always comes out great this way. Enjoy your eggs over avocado toast, a salad or a bowl of ramen.
*Please note the nutritional values are calculated for the cooked egg only.
Keywords: How to cook soft boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs